Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Big Stripers on Tiny Bait

 

This 30 inch slot fish took a three inch
Cocahoe mounted onto a small jighead.
Expect to find some big fish feeding on
small bait in the coming days and
weeks.

With all this heat and wind, I put the kayak in the garage and I am back to fishing the surf in the evening/night. I hit an interesting situation last evening where I found a lot of stripers in very close feeding on tiny bait.  I mean so tiny I couldn't even see the bait.  I suspect they were baby bay anchovies since I have seen a lot of them in Narragansett Bay. 

The usual big plugs were not going to work here so I had to go small.  I started off with a quarter ounce flathead jig along with a curly tail.  They were hitting that quite well, but the tails kept pulling down after a few fish.  I then went with something more durable....a small, three inch Cocahoe mounted onto a quarter ounce jighead.  That worked fairly well, and I stuck with that set-up for the rest of the evening.  I might have even tried my float and fly since that set-up has been deadly in the past under these circumstances.  But, I had none in my bag since I usually fish this in late summer and early fall.  You can bet I'll have some in the bag tonight.

The fish last evening were a mix of hefty schoolies (22 to 27 inches) and slot fish into the low thirty inch range.  There were a lot of them and it was non-stop action for three straight hours.  Make no mistake about it....this is turning out to be a HUGE year for stripers here in RI and whether you fish from a boat or from shore. On average, the stripers are also good size with big numbers of hefty schoolies, slots and even over slots around. I can almost guarantee our hot RI striper fishing will continue right into the fall.