Thursday, July 7, 2022

Best Year EVER in Narragansett Bay?

 

Here's a decent size slot landed just
hours ago from the kayak. The fishing
in the Bay this year has been fantastic,
possibly the best ever!

Since the beginning of May I have not left Narragansett Bay. I saved a lot of money on gas, but more importantly, I've landed more big stripers than I have caught in a two month period. While I've fished a bit from the shore, the majority of my fishing has been done from the kayak.  I've fished in multiple places and it has all been about the same.  In a word, fantastic.

From my perspective, this has been the very best year I have ever seen in the Bay and that dates back to decades of fishing the Bay from shore and boat.  There have been huge numbers of adult menhaden in the Bay for months now and that has attracted incredible numbers of big stripers and big bluefish. I'm guessing my "keeper count" is in the hundreds at this point. And, we are not talking just slot fish.  Maybe a third of all my fish have been over slots with countless numbers at and over 40 inches.  It has been that good.

In years past, the striper fishing in the Bay has pretty much ended by the first week in July.  Not this year. I can tell you it is still going strong as I landed very good numbers of big fish in the last couple of days.  Find the pogies and you most likely will find large stripers and/or large bluefish under them.

How long this will continue is anyone's guess. So long as the large bait sticks around, the large fish will most likely stick around also no matter how warm the water gets.