Sunday, December 19, 2021

Off to the Slopes

The fishing has gone downhill,
but the skiing has been great!

 The last striper that I caught, a small schoolie, was landed  a week ago. I've heard about nothing since. From all indications, things seem to be pretty much over except for some holdovers if you can find them. I've put most of my fishing stuff away, and am doing winter maintenance on all my stuff. 

The last month has been a changeover period for me.  Since Thanksgiving, I have been skiing 3 or 4 times a week.  The other days I've rotated between carp fishing in freshwater and saltwater striper fishing, sometimes doing both in the same day. I had some late season surprises with the striper fishing where I ran into unexpected good action.  The carp fishing in late fall has been fair, but I banked a few good fish in the teens. But, with some cold weather on the way and almost sure icing, I think the fishing is over for me, at least temporarily.  Of course, I'll get back to it if we get a warm spell.

Years ago when I had more energy, I remember times I'd often ski in the morning/early afternoon at Wachusett Mountain. I would bring along my carp gear and stop on the way home and fish for carp before dark, and I'd usually catch a few.  Later, I'd get home, eat supper and head out to catch holdover stripers at night. Only in New England!