Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Yo Zuri Hydro Pencil Red Hot

 

A very hot plug in recent days has been the
Yo Zuri Hydro Pencil in a bone color. I've 
landed 14 slot keepers on this plug in the
last few days.

The best plug for me in the last couple of days has been the Yo Zuri Hydro Pencil.  It has accounted for 14 slot limit keepers along with several schoolies. I've written about this plug before and it is one of my favorites to fish for stripers and bluefish when the bait is peanut bunker.  This plug looks like a Jumpin' Minnow on steroids.  It is bulkier than the Jumpin' Minnow as it weighs a bit over an ounce. The action, a walk the dog" type of back and forth movement when vigorously pulling the rod tip with a slow retrieve of the reel seems to drive fussy stripers nuts. Most days, this plug will far outfish standard poppers.  While I still use the Jumpin' Minnow a lot, I like this plug for distance casting or when a wind is in my face.

Our late summer of striper fishing continues to be fantastic here in RI. No shortage whatsoever that was predicted last winter by so called experts. There are big numbers of every category of sizes.  Loads of schoolies in places. an overabundance of slot limit fish and good numbers of over-slot fish. Add to that some big bluefish that join in the melees at times. 

On another note, the albie fishing has gone downhill.  I heard of exactly one albie caught all weekend. Too early for them....they should be back soon when the regular season begins.

Here's a 30+ inch striper that was foul
hooked on the Yo Zuri Hydro Pencil.
This plug has been my best producer lately.
The fish was released in good shape.