Monday, September 27, 2021

The Birthday Blitz

One of the birthday keepers that joined
the party!

 I celebrated my 71st birthday today with a big blitz of stripers. Our fabulous early fall fishing just seems to keep going and these daily blitzes are happening daily if you can find the bait.  Find the bait and you most certainly will find stripers.  This evening's fish were real good size.  For the most part they were hefty schoolies with slots mixed in.  Of the thirty bass I landed, at least 6 were slot limit keepers up to 32 inches.  This 1 to 5 ratio of slots to schoolies has been what has happened since the summer.  So, no shortage of decent fish around. All the fish tonight were on jigs.  Before dark, it was the float and jig scoring; after dark, it was the big bucktail with a fat Cow jig strip.  The jigs made for easy catch-and-release, and did little to no damage to the fish. 

At 71 years old, I am fortunate to do what I am doing. I suppose health is everything at my age, and I am lucky to still be able to get out and fish every day. I do a lot of casting, walking in waders and climbing rocks in some tough to get at spots.  In addition, I try to ride a bike every day, and during the winter months, I ski at least five days a week. I'm convinced that all this activity is really good for me, and I have no plans to slow down!

One of many slot limit keepers landed this evening/night
on jigs.