Friday, June 25, 2021

Rough and Clean, a Winning Formula

 

I found good numbers of schoolies
in the rough and clean water
last night.  The float and jig did
the trick.

I got back in the swing of things after a hectic weekend last week when my son Chris got married. I didn't fish saltwater for about 5 days but I got back in business this week.  I fished the Canal midweek and that was a bust. So poor so far this June, and way off compared to past years in June.  Heck, I never even ran into a single fisherman plugging in the five hours I was there! But, I am confident that the fishing will pick up there.

Last night I headed to the RI oceanfront.  I had my fingers crossed that I would find clean water.  I knew it was rough from the wind reports and the surf cams. I was looking for rough and clean, and I found it.  It didn't take long before my float and jig was hit and I was onto a fish.  I hooked and landed several more.  They were all lurking in the white and rough water.  These were all 20 inch schoolies, but they very feisty in the churned up water.

For me, the big fish (anything over 30 inches) have been a disappointment so far. I know there are a few good ones being landed by persistent fishermen who have been slugging it out all night.  But, these big fish from shore are few and far between these days, and will take a major effort and some luck to catch one.