Thursday, March 11, 2021

No Stripers, No Problem

 

Yesterday's fish was a beauty and put up quite
a fight.  While holdover striper fishing is slow
right now in RI, the carp are on the feed!

It's been slow going for holdover stripers.  My son, Jon, has put in a good amount of time and effort and is scoring a few, but I have come up empty. I tried last weekend and blanked.  So, in the last couple of days I have set my sights on carp fishing instead, and that has lit up in this warm spring weather.

Yesterday I skied in the morning/afternoon and carp fished in the evening. Only in new England!   I came away with a real good size common carp that was at least in the high teens.  Today I went out and landed 4 more fish from 6 to 10 lbs. Yes, the carp have come to life in this beautiful weather, and just might be a better bet (at least for me) than holdover striper fishing right now.

Carp will go on the feed as soon as ice out arrives.  That is happening in many places right now in RI, CT and MA freshwaters.