Thursday, March 18, 2021

Just Nothing to Report

 I have nothing to report on the holdover striper fishing front.  While I have been skiing just about every day, my son Jon as well as friends have been trying for holdover stripers. It's been a lot of time and effort for very few fish. Just not good yet this March compared to recent years. I've always maintained that winter holdover striper fishing is very inconsistent and that is proving true this year.

Last year my fishing for holdovers began in late Feb. and continued right though the spring. I could average a couple of fish an outing, but there were also some blanks in there. I was also catching some white perch along with the holdovers.  But, last year was much warmer than this year. I think we need an extended period of warm weather to perk the fishing up.

With all this cool weather in March, I have to wonder how this will affect the migration. We'll see, but I am still betting on a big influx of fish in mid April along the oceanfront.