Thursday, October 1, 2020

Bucktails REALLY Working

 

Here's a near keeper landed on a bucktail
jig fished off the float.  Jigs have been hot
all fall.  They also allow for easy and safe
catch-and-release.

For me, striper fishing has been really hot in the last few days in the rough water along the RI oceanfront. My hottest artificials have been bucktail jigs. I'm fishing the bucks in two different ways.  In deeper water I have been using larger homemade Spire head jigs of an ounce to an ounce and a half. I have been using 5 inch Fat Cow split tail jig strips on those bigger jigs.  In places where the water is shallow and rocky, I am using the egg float with a half ounce flathead jig.  I've used both curly tails and Fat Cow strips on those smaller jigs.

I'm really high on the Fat Cow jig strips (by the way can be bought on Amazon). They are far more durable than those Bass Pro curly tails which seem to be very flimsy and of poor quality these days. I find the Fat Cow strips to be equally effective enticers on jigs of all sizes and they are durable. I landed over 30 bass on the same strip in the last couple of days. I only use the color white.

The stripers these days are a mix of  hefty schoolies and slot limit keepers. The schoolies are generally in the 20 to 27 inch range. The slot limit limit keepers are running 28 to 32 inches.  Absent are the much larger fish over 35 inches, but no one should be surprised by that.