Monday, October 12, 2020

As Good as it Gets

 

The float and bucktail jig has been a 
hot number this week.

This has been a fantastic week of fishing for me.  I have fished daily blitzes of fish that seem to be all  over the place.  I've run into big numbers of stripers from Narragansett to Westerly and every place in between. I've gotten them in windy and rough conditions as well as calm conditions.  Today, I hit a glut of fish in a big northeast blow.  Earlier in the week, I hit it big in a wild blow from the southwest. It's been an old fashioned October as massive amounts of bait and fish move southward along our shores. They are on the move and actively feeding. 

As expected, most of the stripers are hefty schoolies running 20 to 26 inches.  But, there are some slot limit keepers in the mix. I've landed several of those small keepers this week in the 28 to 30 inch size range.  I even met a guy who landed a 46 inch striper a couple of nights ago from shore. He showed me a photo and it was legit. There are also big numbers of hickory shad in places along with occasional bluefish.

The hot lures are jigs.  Use them alone or off a float.  The Cocahoe on a jighead has been a hot producer as have bucktail jigs tipped with curly tails or Fat Cow jig strips.  Jigs also make for safe and easy catch-and-release. 

Birds are hitting the water and stripers are busting on bay anchovies.
This has gone on every day in the last week somewhere along the 
oceanfront or in multiple locations some days!