Tuesday, September 1, 2020

In a Lull

 I have fished a lot in the last week, and I have been all over the place. The fishing has not been good.  That fantastic August fishing has really cooled off.  The massive schools of peanut bunker seem to have moved on, and the stripers and bluefish have moved with it.

I fished the oceanfront 3 times in the last week.  I did not see the action that I found all month.  I came away with two schoolies in three days.  I fished multiple spots in the Bay twice in the last week and landed exactly two bluefish. There was some bait and blues there one day, none the next. Finally, in a desperate move, I went to that unmentionable spot to the north of us today that "always has fish".  I came away with one schoolie that I caught on the very first cast. It was loaded with bait, but very few fish.

So, it's not good right now.  Hey, that's fishing and we are reminded every so often that it is not always good. I guess that's what drives us to keep looking and trying.