Thursday, September 3, 2020

Busting Out of the Lull

 You've heard the saying, "if you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes." Well, the same thing can be said about saltwater fishing. After a week of lousy fishing, the weather delivered a stiff southeast wind, some very rough, moving water and lots of fish. Suddenly all is well, and we're back in the game.

Yesterday was one of the roughest days I have fished this summer along the oceanfront, comparable to that tropical storm back in July. But, it was just what I was looking for.  I knew that if the water was clean I would find good numbers of fish. And, I did.  Stripers were in and out along the white water surf where I was fishing and staged a big charge at the shore at dark. As has been the case all year, these were schoolies in the 20 to 26 inch range.

While I was catching in my location, I know of others who were hitting it big far to the south of me.  Also, at the same time my son Jon was catching big time from the kayak in the Bay. Yesterday was a big day in a lot of places.

So, we are back in business.  As long as the surf remains rough, the fishing will remain good.  Goodbye and good riddance to the lull.