Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Day of Firsts: First Stripers from Bay, First Keeper!

Zoom flukes on a
jighead were hot today
as I got my first ones
from the Bay
Today was yet another sign that the fish are on the move in their spring migration.  I landed my first stripers of spring from the Bay from shore.  These were all decent schoolies that averaged 20 inches.  They were considerably bigger than what I saw along the oceanfront this week.  I also got my first keeper today. It was a fish that I measured that went exactly 28 inches.  All of today's fish were caught on 4 inch, albino Zoom flukes that were threaded onto a quarter ounce jighead.
I really was not surprised that the fish are now in the Bay.  In most years, I get my first ones in the Bay about 2 weeks after I catch my first fish along the oceanfront. I also usually get my first keeper about 2 weeks after the first schoolies along the oceanfront. So, everything is moving right along schedule.
Next on the list will be the first bluefish.  They should be here around the first week of May.

I also got my first keeper of the year in the Bay today.  This fish went
exactly 28 inches and was caught on a Zoom fluke. Expect to see more and
more keepers in the coming days and weeks.