Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Best April Ever in Terms of Numbers?

There are record numbers of schoolies right now along
the oceanfront. This one took a Cocahoe minnow, a hot
lure in April.
Staggering numbers of schoolies continue to move along the oceanfront. I can't remember an April where we have had this many fish.  It is simply phenomenal, maybe the best April ever in the places I am fishing.
Thusfar I have been out 11 times in the month of April.  My logbook indicates I've landed very close to 500 stripers, all schoolies.  Think about this...that's close to 50 fish an outing.  And, I haven't once fished all day.  I've been out on  3 to 5 hour sessions.  Yes, there are that many fish around.  I'm guessing that there are guys who have been pounding it hard every single day who must have 1,000 fish so far. If there is any downside to this glut of fish, it is the fact that I have yet to see a keeper caught.  That shouldn't be a big surprise since April keepers tend to be rare and there have been many years in which I have not caught one until the first week of May.
Even with the wrong conditions, the fish are still on the rampage.  I went down today in the pouring rain with all the wrong conditions. Many experienced fishermen would tell you today's wind was from the wrong direction, the water was too cold, the ocean was too flat and the sun was not out.  All that didn't seem to matter as I landed 36 schoolies in just a few hours of slugging it out in the pouring rain.  The hot lures today were Cocahoes on jigheads (what else?) and shrimp fly teasers. Most fishermen must have thought the fish would not be hitting because I saw very few fishermen around today.
With favorable weather coming at the end of the week and the weekend, the spring bonanza should continue, and don't be surprised if you land a keeper or see some caught.