Saturday, June 21, 2014

Small Blues Invade Upper Bay

Small bluefish in the 2-4 lb. range have
invaded the warming upper Bay waters.
I'm back fishing RI, and I'm back catching bluefish.  I fished yesterday evening and found almost non-stop bluefish action in the Bay from shore.  These fish were on the small side running 2-4 lbs.  They were very aggressive and would hit a surface offering over and over again until they had it. The best plug that worked for me was a Rebel Jumpin Minnow.
Water temperatures have shot up in the Bay this week due to the warm and sunny weather.  In a lot of places surface water has jumped up to 70 degrees.  That spells trouble for striper fishing (not that it was hot).  At this time of the year stripers begin their exit out of the upper Bay waters and head to the deeper and cooler waters of the lower Bay and the oceanfront.  If you are looking for stripers from shore or boat (good luck) I suggest looking in places like Jamestown, Newport and Narragansett.