Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Foot Long Blues Invade Bay; Stripers Scarse

Foot long bluefish have invaded Narragansett.  They seem to be everywhere whether you fish from shore or fish from a boat. The odd thing is that they are not schooled up.  You see individual fish breaking here and there whenever any bait comes around.
Last night I tried a mid Bay spot.  Right away I saw a blue jump in front of me so I knew this was going to be night in which I would not use the expensive skinny plastic.  In fact, anything plastic would be chopped to shreds.  So, I snapped on my ole reliable 3/8 oz. flathead bucktail jig with a plastic curly tail.  It did wonders as I landed 7 bluefish and one lone schoolie.  And, at the end of the night, the durable bucktail jig was still intact. The blues I caught were spitting up bay anchovies once ashore.  I also noticed good numbers of sandeels in the water, so there is a variety of bait to keep the blues eating.  Meanwhile, striper numbers are way down in the Bay right now.  I suspect it is due to warm water.  Last night's water felt like bathwater to the touch....not good for stripers.

So, looks like bluefish is THE show right now in the Bay.  Get yourself a light rod, some bucktail jigs and curly tails and enjoy the action.  They will probably stick around until the fall.