Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cooler Water Better Bet

It is that time of the year when there is a wide variation in water temperatures in RI.  I checked a NOAA site today and they reported the water temperature at mid Bay, Conimicut, to be 74 degrees while it was a cool 67 degrees off Newport.  That is a big difference and it makes a big difference in the fishing.
Yesterday evening I fished down at Jamestown, a cool water spot.  Right away, I noticed the coolness through my boots as the water seemed about 10 degrees cooler than the previous night of fishing in the upper Bay.  That cool water spot got me 3 hefty schoolies on 6 inch white Hogys right at dark (see pic at right).  I also had quite a few more hits.  I blanked the previous night in the seventy degree bath waters of the upper Bay.  If you are looking for some action right now with stripers, think cooler water.  Those deep water places around Jamestown, Newport, Narragansett, and Block Island are the best bets for striper action right now in RI. It also helps to fish the cooler hours of daybreak, dusk and nighttime.