Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Change in Tactics, Location Lead to First Fish of 2012

I had blanked for four outings in a row.  It was time for a change. So, I tried a spot in the upper Bay that had not been good in the past in January.  Hey, I figured it's a crazy year and this spot just might produce.  And, tonight proved to be just another of those crazy nights. 


There were fish breaking here and there in this spot.  Some type of small bait (shrimp or small baitfish?) would start skipping on the surface and WHOSH, a bass would come up to grab it.  Fish breaking in January chasing bait....CRAZY!  These fish, however, were fussy.  I was only able to catch one schoolie on the ole reliable 3-inch Zoom fluke.  After no other hits, I switched to a tiny 1/8 oz. bucktail jig spiced with a one inch curly tail. That did the trick as I landed 6 more schoolies and had at least another 5 fish on.  Realize, though, I could only get a hit when I casted to a breaking fish. I got no hits and no fish if I didn't cast to a jump.  So, my first fish of 2012 are in the books. Let the games begin!