Monday, June 28, 2010

Move to Deeper, Cooler Water

Well, I made the move. After a couple of poor outings in the upper Bay, I have moved to deeper and cooler water in the lower Bay. The upper Bay right now from Providence to Conimicut features dirty water (algae blooms) with lots of clinging green and fine white weed. In addition, it feels like bath water. I'm guessing in the upper 70's. There is little or no bait. The stripers have, for the most part, packed up and left.
I fished the Jamestown shoreline last evening where the water was considerably cooler and cleaner. Deep water was nearby. Also, I found tons of small sandeels there hugging the shore. While I did not kill the fish, I managed to land 4 schoolies with a couple up near keeper size. I also had a couple of more fish on. The hot lure was a 6 inch bone colored skinny Hogy. Shore spots along deep water drops like near Jamestown, Newport, and the rocks of Gansett now offer your best bets to catch stripers from shore.