Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Float and Fluke Rig


You've all heard of the float and jig rig. It is one of my hot producers in the fall. I've used this same idea to come up with a float and fluke rig. One end is a homemade wooden egg float. To this two to three feet of mono (30 lb. test) is attached. At the opposite end is a wide gap worm hook to which a 5-inch Zoom fluke is threaded on, Texas style. Just cast out and twitch the rod tip as you retrieve. This has been especially productive for me in the Bay in the last week when fishing rough water with a wind in my face. It is deadly on fussy fish and has delivered several keeper bass. It has not worked so well in calm water with a wind at my back (better off going with just the fluke in those conditions). I suspect the float has a spooking effective when the fish have a good look at it.