Saturday, August 24, 2024

Could this be the start of a fall run?

 

Small bonito were harassing small bait 
yesterday. They have been popping up here
and there along the oceanfront where bait
shows up.

Yesterday, for the first time I saw lots of bait.  From my vantage point I could see multiple schools of bait way out being harassed by birds from the top and predators from below.  It was small bait which I suspect was rain bait.  Occasionally a school would come in close and I was able to reach it with my metal lure.  I suspected it was small bonito hitting the bait, and I was right. I managed to catch a couple and had a few more on.

Later I moved to another spot as the sun was setting.  Right before dark a school of peanut bunker moved right by me. A short time later I landed a striper and a large fluke.

This sudden influx of bait close to shore is a sure sign that fall fishing is right around the corner for shore fishermen who have been suffering through a poor summer.  Every year this seems to happen sometime in August. It's a bit late this year, but I think we are looking at improved fishing from shore in the next few days and weeks. Could this be the start of a fall run along the oceanfront?