Monday, April 22, 2024

First Slot! Larger Fish Slowing Arriving

My first slot of the year was
landed yesterday. The fish was
released in good shape. Note the
sea lice on the fish's body.

 The first slot is in the books for me as I landed a 28 to 30 inch striper yesterday along the oceanfront.  I also had several more fish that were "close" to the slot along with some smaller fish.  In addition, I have heard of other slots taken in the last two days.  It all tells me that the larger fish, those 25 to 33 inch stripers, are here.  Their numbers are not great yet, but this is still early for those slot fish to arrive. Their numbers should swell in the coming days and weeks once some warmer weather arrives. 

By the way, that slot that I landed fell for a 4 inch Cocahoe minnow threaded onto a 3/4 oz. jighead.  I was fishing it slowly, right along the bottom.