Friday, April 26, 2024

Big Numbers of SLOTS!

 

Here's a slot that was landed this afternoon on
a Slug go. Fishing for slots has been very good.

The water is cold, the air is cold, and there should not be big numbers of fish around RI waters.  But, they are here, and the biggest surprise of the spring is the abundant numbers of slot fish along both the oceanfront and in the Bay.  I can't remember a year in which I have seen this many good size fish in April.  Yes, it's that good.

This past week I got out just about every day and landed more slot fish than schoolies.  On my best outing I was out fishing from shore with my son Jon a few evenings ago.  We landed a total of 16 stripers- ALL SLOTS in the 28 to 30 inch range.  That is phenomenal fishing for April.

The fish are also hitting a variety of lures.  I've landed fish this week on all my spring all star lures- Rebel Jumpin Minnows, Slug-Gos, bucktail jigs, NLBN paddle tails and Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencils.

If you get out this weekend and you find fish, they will probably be slots. As far as bigger fish, it's as good as it gets in April right now.