Friday, June 2, 2023

Very Hot Week of Striper Fishing from the Yak

I've got my hand in the jaw of a slot 
striper that took my Jumpin' Minnow
fished from the kayak. Kayak fishing
for stripers has been red hot for me 
this week.

 The last three days have been super good for me from the kayak.  I got into an area that was loaded with good size peanut bunker (4 to 5 inches). and the stripers found them.  I've seen daily blitzes of fish busting under a noon day sun going nuts for the bait. While the stripers have been mostly hefty schoolies in the 20 to 26 inch range, I did manage to also catch a good number of slots from 28 to 30 inches. There have also been some gator blues in the mix.

The hottest plug for me this week has been a Rebel Jumpin' Minnow in a bone color.  This is a dead ringer for large peanut bunker, and it works super well when the bass are feeding on top in shallow water.

I suspect my hot fishing will come to an end with a big northeast blow and stormy weather on the way. Almost for sure it will move the fish out.  But, I have a good idea on where I will find the fish next as I plan to leave the kayak home and pack the waders and surf rods.