Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Float and Jig Scoring in the Rough Water

This hefty schoolie was landed on the
float and jig, a great choice in rough
water.  There are good numbers of 
stripers around from hefty schoolies
to slot size fish. along the oceanfront.

 It has been rough, I mean REALLY rough, along the oceanfront in the last couple of days. I like fishing rough white water, but this was a bit much in a number of places I fished as it was downright dangerous.  I did, however, find a couple of spots that were safe and fishable, and the stripers were hitting. I scored good numbers of stripers up to slot size fishing this white water.

The float and jig, so good in the fall, was the ticket to success.  With a lot of sandeels around, a small  jig is a good choice to imitate this slender bait.  In the rough water, the float is the ticket to deliver that small jig a good distance.

I have been using a homemade through wired egg float.  My jig is a homemade half ounce H style jig (looks like a slender fishead).  I also added a 3 inch, plastic Triple Ripple Bass Pro tail to the jig. Toss that into the white water and just reel it in slowly.  The turbulence and currents will give the jig all the action it needs. It's super deadly in rough water. 

There are good numbers of stripers around especially along the oceanfront, but you have to find them.  Daytime action can be good if the water is rough and the weather is stormy. Nighttime might be a better choice under calm conditions.  I'm guessing a lot of people will be getting out to fish this holiday weekend.  Good luck and hope you find 'em.