Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Good Fishing From the Kayak

 

It was good numbers of hefty
schoolies and small slots from the 
kayak this evening.  The hot lure
was an unweighted Zoom fluke 
twitched on top.

I've been out in the kayak several times in the last week. Like shore fishing, I've found good numbers of stripers in the Bay while fishing from the yak.

Tonight I found a good bunch of them in some calm water, but they were oh so fussy.  While I did fool about a dozen fish I must have had 50 or 60 follows and whirls.  The only thing I was able to catch them on was an unweighted Super Zoom fluke rigged with a swimbait hook and fished on the top.  The trick was to bring it in fast with twitches of the rod tip and then stop reeling.  The fish would generally take on the stop if they were going to hit. This was no silver bullet as some fish would simply whirl and turn away, but some got excited enough to slam the offering. Most of tonight's fish were hefty schoolies but I did have a few fish that I would guess were just slots.