Saturday, May 27, 2023

Epic Bluefish Action from the Yak

They have been huge and they have been
plentiful.

 In the last week, I have experienced some of the very best bluefish action I have ever encountered.  These blues are some of the biggest I have ever seen with good numbers of fish in the 15 to 20 lb. range.  Even the smaller ones are over 10 lbs. There are also a lot of them.  Except for a couple of fish, most of my gator blues have come from the kayak.

These blues are attracted to the warm water of the Bay at this time of year, although there are some good reports of them along the oceanfront also.  They come into the water waters of the Bay where the food is plentiful.  The smorgasbord is abundant- siliversides, large menhaden, peanut bunker and worms are all over the place.

All of my action has been on topwater offerings.  I've done especially well with spook type plugs like the Rebel Jumpin' Minnow and the Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencil.

My advice to anyone who wants to catch these from a kayak is to be prepared.  Bluefish can be pose a danger when being landed.  I like to really tire them out, and once the fish is close to the yak, I will grab it with a Boga Grip.  Once in the hold of the gripper, I'll take my pliers and unhook the fish while in the water.  Once unhooked, I open up the gripper and let them go. You don't want to bring a blue into the Yak with a plug in its mouth. Lots of things can go wrong under that scenario.

The blues have been averaging 12 to 15 lbs.
There are some in the 15-20 lb. range in the mix!