Sunday, October 17, 2021

Passing Cold Front Heats Up Fishing

Here's a good size striper coming ashore with
my bucktail jig in its jaw.  Jigs were hot again
today.

 It took one passing cold front and one cold night to light up the fishing once again.  Today I was into blitz-like action all afternoon and evening as schools of stripers were tearing into schools of bay anchovies along a mile stretch of shoreline.  It was similar to the action we had back in September.  Hopefully today's action has started the fishing on a fall track.

I landed good numbers of stripers although the fish were fussy. Most of the fish were in the 24 to 28 inch range.  I had at least a couple of slot limit fish. Just like I mentioned in the last post, bucktail jigs were hot.  Cast to breaking fish, let the jig sink below the feeders and pump it in. It worked as good or better than anything else I saw today as many fishermen were using topwater plugs with limited success.

I sense this is the start of a fall run.  Barring any sort of severe stormy weather, we should see great and steady action for the next month as migrating bait and masses of stripers move southward.

It was mayhem today as schools of stripers were tearing 
through masses of small bait while birds hit the bait from above.