Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Rainy, Cool Weather Keeping Fishing Hot

Here is a keeper caught recently
on a pencil popper.  Fishing has
been very good thanks to the cool water.
I'm coming off the best week of shore fishing for me since the spring fishing started.  I've found loads of schoolies, but I've also been able to get a few keepers in the mix. My sons, Matt and Jon, are also doing well.  Matt is getting them from shore and boat in Boston Harbor while Jon is getting good numbers in the Bay from the kayak. This is a time of year when traditionally things start slowing down due to warming waters.  Not this year.  For the most part, the Bay is a cool 62 to 65 degrees (surface water temps.) while the oceanfront is in the upper 50's. It's all about 5-8 degrees below normal and that is keeping the fishing going.
I've fished a lot of places in the last two weeks, Narragansett Bay, Boston Harbor and the Canal.  They have all been anywhere from fair to outstanding, but they all hold fish. With this weather continuing, the good shore fishing might just hold up right into July.