Saturday, June 8, 2019

Hot Plug of the Week....Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencil

A decent one from Boston
Harbor falls for the Hydro
Pencil.
This one came from
Narragansett Bay.
Most of you know I am a big fan of the Rebel Jumpin Minnow Plug.  In fact, I am a big fan of all those spook-type plugs.  I think they are far more effective than traditional poppers when it comes to a topwater plug. The latest hot plug for me has been a Yo-Zuri Hyro Pencil.  This spook-type plug moves similar to a Jumpin Minnow, but it is far beefier.  The plug is 5 inches long and weighs in 1 ounce.  It comes with beefed up hooks, split rings and anchors.  Unlike the Jumpin Minnow, this plug can be used straight from the box without any modification. I did, however, crush the barbs on the trebles to make for easier and safer catch and release.
I fished Narragansett Bay and Boston Harbor on back to back evenings this week, and it was the Hydro Pencil in a bone color that outfished any other plug in my bag.  I caught decent numbers of stripers (schoolies up near keeper size) on this plug.  It casts like a bullet and has that back and forth movement when you give it a "walk the dog" action with your rod tip.
I don't see many fishermen using this plug, but I can tell you that I am sold on it.  If you like to use spook-type plugs, you will really like this one.