Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Real Prize from the Boat

It's been a real good fall from the boat for stripers along the oceanfront, but today I got a real surprise as I landed a bonito, a fish I have not caught in years.  The fish was mixed in with good numbers of stripers and bluefish that were all feasting on big schools of bay anchovies.  The bonito, a fish of about 10 lbs., hit an albino colored Zoom fluke mounted on a 3/4 oz. jighead.
There were good numbers of fish once again about a mile off the shore. My bother Steve, my son Ben and I landed close to 20 stripers up to keeper size, a dozen bluefish,  a number of black sea bass and the bonito.  Yes, it was a day of plenty, the kind of day that has been routine from the boat this fall.
This was the prize of the day.  In addition, we landed good numbers
of stripers, blues and black sea bass.