Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Real Eye Opener

Winter striper fishing can best be described as inconsistent.  I've  lived that in my last five outings as I went fishless and hitless.  But, I also know from experience that persistence in this winter game of striper fishing can pay off.  I've also lived winter nights where there is a fish or a hit on every cast, even after I've gone fishless for five or more nights in a row.
Last night was one of those nights.  After my five fishless outings, I decided to make some changes and fish in a different spot.  You see, winter fish often pack up, and it is a matter of finding the Mother Lode.  I tried an area I rarely fish at this time of year.  In addition, I know that winter fish turn on in some of the nastiest weather imaginable.  It was that way last night with wind, cold,  snow blowing and slush everywhere. Hey, my kind of fishing weather.  For whatever the reason, and maybe it was pure luck, the fish were around in astounding numbers as I had a striper or a hit on just about every single cast in the two hours I fished.  While most of these fish were hefty schoolies, I did manage to hook into one small keeper.  It was a reminder that keeper bass can still be caught in the wintertime. So, last night will go down in the logbook as one of those terrific March outings that seem to be few and far between these days, a real eye opener!
Yes, persistence does pay off.