Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Seals in the Providence River Add to Misery

It was a day that should have been good. The conditions and tide were just right this afternoon and temperatures were in the forties with drizzle. In the past that would have led to banner winter fishing. Not this year.
The lousy winter fishing in the Providence River just got worse with the addition of seals. It's bad enough that I haven't gotten a hit in the last four outings, but now I have seals to contend with. And, we all know that seals have a very negative effect on any fish that may be around.
Today I saw two seals actively working the river right in the city about a fifty yards south of Heninway's Restaurant. One was a small gray one and the other was a large brown one. Not being a seal expert, I have no idea what kinds these were. I did see a big commotion as one seal was thrashing near the shore in an obvious attack. I'm sure he got a small striper.
This seal had far better luck today than I did as I blanked.....once again.