Earlier in the week I made plans with my son Matt to go out
fishing on Thursday evening in the boat with the grandkids. Only problem was once Thursday got here the weather forecast was calling for a 50% chance of rain. We decided to go anyways and bring the raincoats just in case. Heck, if it got too wet, we'd just head in.
I told the kids I had a feeling that this would be a good night if it didn't rain. Pressure dropping, storm on the way for later, light winds and calm water- all good indicators for action. I said, " I have a feeling we are going to catch some big ones tonight!" And, we joked about who was going to catch the biggest fish.
Well, it started off slowly but the action picked up dramatically about 7:00. I saw a telltale sign of fish when I saw a jump in the distance. We motored over to that location, and suddenly the fishfinder lit up. It indicated fish from top to bottom in 40 feet of water. We casted our 9 inch Slug-gos out and the Slug barely hit the water, and both Matt and I were on. These were hard fighting over slot fish. For the next hour it was a hit or a fish on just every cast and all these fish were over slots. The grandkids got into the act as they started fishing with minimal help. They landed many fish that seemed to be as tall as them and struggled to hold them up for a photo. As darkness came in, the action petered out but not before we landed 15 to 20 big fish. These were fish up to 40 inches longs. The Slug-go which had a single hook up front was an easy catch and release lure and all the fish were safely released. The grandkids loved watching the fish swim away.This was probably the best outing we ever had from Matt's boat for stripers. It was just an incredible night, just as I had predicted. It never rained except for a sprinkle. We also never saw another boat as we had this pile of fish all to ourselves,
By the way, grandpa landed the biggest fish!

.jpeg)

