Thursday, September 19, 2024

Egg Float and Jig Scoring Big Time Right Now

 

The float and jig has been my best lure to use 
this week. It has hooked big numbers of stripers
from slots to over slots.

The bait has arrived, the stripers are on their tails and the surf is up! What could be better? Add to that some rough, white water surf and you have the recipe for outstanding fishing.

This has been a banner week for me with big numbers of stripers from schoolies all the way up to over slots. Slot fish have been abundant. Clearly the fall run is here.

My top scorer this week has been the egg float and jig. Throw that in the turbulence, reel slowly with an occasional bounce of the rod tip and bingo, I'm on.

I make all my egg floats, and have written about that extensively on this blog.  Do search and you will find all the info on how to make them.  Off the float I run a three foot length of 50 lb. test mono.  At the end I am tying on a 1/2 to 3/4 oz. H style bucktail jig that is also homemade.  Onto the jig I thread a three inch, Bass Pro Triple Ripple curly tail.  The tail really gives the jig irresistible action in a rough surf.

This set up works well anywhere that you might need a booming cast. It also works well in shallow, rocky areas where a regular jig might hang up.