Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Stripers, Blues and DOLPHINS!

 The fishing along the oceanfront has taken a dramatic turn for the better. Since the hot weather departed big schools of bait, bay anchovies and peanut bunker, have streamed into the area.  This has attracted good numbers of stripers and blues as well as other predators.

Yesterday I was watching a school of fish the size of a football field on the surface way out, stripers I presumed. Suddenly the surface erupted with massive splashes.  I thought it was bluefin tuna.  However, I soon saw the backs of dolphins cruising through the melee.  There were hundreds of them.  They put on a fabulous show for about 10 minutes. It was the first time I had ever seen them so close to shore (maybe 150 yards away). Take a look at the brief video below I shot with my phone of this event.