Thursday, June 22, 2023

Down in the Rough

A large bucktail jig spiced with
a pink Fat Cow jig strip has been 
my best producer in the last week.

 I'm back to fishing mostly from shore in the last week.  That persistent northeast/east wind has really kicked up the oceanfront. I've always said that rougher is better than calm water, and I will say that the fishing has been good this week.  Find some clean, rough water, and you will likely find some stripers.

Jigs have been the hot numbers for me all week.  I'm mostly fishing one ounce bucktails in rough water, but I have also fished half ounce NLBN paddle tails where the surf has been calmer.  Both have been getting me good numbers of 24 to 28 inch stripers.  I've gone back to using pink Fat Cow jig strips on my bucktails, and that has been effective.

Even when I have seen fish breaking I have been unable to catch anything on a topwater plug.  The float and jig is also not working.  It seems that the stripers are down deep in the rough water column, and that's where they are taking.

Expect this rough surf to continue as we have lots of rain and stormy weather in the forecast for the next week.