Saturday, November 12, 2022

Why so Poor?

 In years past, that first half of November was peak time along the RI oceanfront for stripers.  This year it has been about as poor as it can be.  I was out yesterday prior to that big storm.  It was ideal conditions in late afternoon and early night.  The wind was moderate, it was rainy and the surf had a lot of clean, white water.  I landed exactly two schoolies while trying multiple spots into the night.  I had two other friends out in different places.  They also landed a few schoolies. For all of us, a disappointing outing.

So, what's the story here, and why is it so poor this November.  Here's a few ideas:

This is one of two schoolies that I 
landed last night. Striper fishing
along the oceanfront has been poor
in November.

1. Water is too warm- Yes, a lot of people think that's the case and the cooler weather will bring improved fishing. But, is the fishing any better north of us? I was at the Cape Cod Canal last week and it was poor the day I was there.

2. No bait- That is also a problem as I have seen very little bait in all my travels in November. Many people say it is in the backwaters and the Bay.

3. Blame it on the YOY- A lot of people in the know are citing the poor young of the year index in the Chesapeake Bay.  This measure of spawning has been poor in the last 4 years, causing far fewer schoolies which we tend to see at the end of the year and at the beginning of the year.  By the way, early spring fishing was also poor.

4. A lot of fish left early this year- True, we had outstanding striper fishing back in September and October.  But, with each storm (and there has been a lot of them), more and more fish and bait left.

For whatever the reason, the fishing is poor right now along the oceanfront, and the calendar keeps ticking away. I know fishing gets inconsistent after Thanksgiving so if it is going to happen, I hope it happens soon.