Friday, August 19, 2022

August Nights

 

We have been catching good numbers of slot fish 
after dark along with big numbers of hefty
schoolies. This one was caught on a live eel
from shore.

My son Jon and I have been on a roll lately. While the daytime action has cooled for us, nighttime fishing has been red hot.  There have been good numbers of fish along with slots, and he landed one monster fish.

Mid to late August is a time that I fish a lot at night. My logs reveal that the fish are super active at night at this time of year.  Add to that it gets dark so much earlier now making the nighttime experience less "tiring" for old guys like me.

In the past week or so, Jon and I have been out nearly every night.  He has mainly been throwing eels looking for larger fish and I have been using a plug or a jig.  While I have caught more fish, he has scored much better with the bigger fish. I'm catching one slot for every six or seven fish I am landing so a pretty good ratio for bigger fish.  He, on the other hand, is getting a slot or over slot for every three or four fish he is catching.  Proves eels at night are the ticket to bigger fish!

In addition to those slot fish we are catching, Jon landed the biggest fish I know of caught from shore this year. He landed and released a fish that measured 48 inches.  It was caught on an eel well after dark.

Bluefish have also been around at
night.

Note that I am also occasionally catching bluefish also. Jon has had several chops on eels, a sure sign that blues are around.

We are quickly setting up on a fall pattern of fishing here in RI.  The peanut bunker are just streaming in and stripers of all sizes are on their tails.