Thursday, March 17, 2022

From the Kayak....First Schoolies; First Slot

My first striper of the year was a holdover
that I caught from the kayak.  It hit an unweighted
Super Zoom fluke trolled from the yak.

 I went out today on my first voyage of the year in my Old Town Sportsman 10-6 Pedal kayak. I was on the hunt for holdover stripers, and I found some.  I landed two schoolies and a small slot fish.  I got all of them trolling zoom flukes (unweighted) along with a small Rapala X-Rap swimmer. The slot took the swimmer and the schoolies took the fluke.  I also had quite a few other hits, but as is typical of fussy holdover stripers, they were not taking. 

This year I set up two trolling rod holders in the tracks on the kayak.  I just added a Yak Attack Omega Pro rod holder to go with my Scotty rod holder, so now I am able to troll two rods in search of fish.  Trolling is a breeze in the pedal kayak since it is hands free.

Holdover stripers exist in many of the river systems in southern New England. It's the only game in town right now since the migrating fish are still about a month away.