Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Shore Fishing Real Good in Right Conditions

 I went out last evening from the shore. I knew with the storms around this would be chancy.  Fortunately, the place I fished had the storminess but no lightning nearby.  That storminess churned up the ocean into a sea of white.  The water was rough, moving and clean.  I knew from the first sight of it that the fishing would be good. It was perfect water to draw stripers in close to shore.

Conditions for fishing last evening were perfect.
The water was rough, moving and clean.

I fished a float and bucktail jig in the white water and came away with good numbers of hefty schoolies.  The fish ranged from 20 to 25 inches, and they were quite aggressive in the white water. 

The shore fishing for me has basically been schoolies in the last month.  Unlike our recent kayak fishing in which it was all slot limit keepers with occasional over slots, the shore fishing has been mostly smaller fish. However, I do know fishermen who have been slugging it out way into the night who have landed a few keepers.

I found good numbers of hefty schoolies
in the white water.  The float and bucktail
jig caught all the fish.

With a lot of storminess coming later on in the week, expect the shore fishing for schoolies and maybe even an occasional slot to be outstanding.  Look for areas of rough, but clean water.  Also, keep in mind safety as rough water can pose dangerous risks in spots.