Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Holdover Fishing Slow

 

A holdover comes ashore yesterday.  Holdover 
fishing has been slow. The masses of migrating
fish should arrive in a week to ten days.

This has not been a banner year for holdover stripers here in RI.  I have tried many times in the last month, and it has been a fish here and there.  My best day was 6 schoolies, but there have been a good number of blanks. Unlike other places (CT for instance), we have a very limited holdover fishery in RI which exists in a number of locations. It is generally inconsistent.

I got out yesterday from shore.  I fished about 2 1/2 hours along a shore that had been productive for holdovers in the past.  I came away with two fish, 16 and 20 inch schoolies.  I got them both on a Zoom fluke on a half ounce jighead, about the best holdover jig you can use.

Everything will change in the next week to ten days when the migrating fish arrive. Last year I landed my first migrating stripers along the oceanfront on April 15. I expect the same timetable this year give or take a few days. It's coming!