Thursday, August 27, 2020

On the White Bucks

 

Here's a near keeper landed yesterday
on a Spire Point bucktail jig. White
bucktail jigs are great for catch-and-
release striper fishing.

We are in the midst of the best August striper fishing I have ever seen from the RI shore. They are along the oceanfront; they are in the Bay.  Daily blitzes are occurring somewhere every single day thanks to massive schools of peanut bunker that the stripers are feeding on.  Since August first I have landed over 300 bass from shore. A telling fact is that I have not caught a single keeper, and while I have seen thousands of fish landed, I have yet to even see a keeper in August.  Tells you a lot about the state of our striper stocks. These are all hefty schoolies that are generally running 20 to 27 inches. 

Since this is all catch-and-release fishing, I have tried to use lures that will do the least amount of damage.  That is why I have caught just about all my fish on jigs this month.  The hot numbers in the last couple of weeks have been white bucktail jigs.  When I need a long cast, I'll fish these off a wooden egg float.  When the fish are in tight, I will just use the jig without a float. I have done well using homemade flathead jigs (half ounce) and homemade Spire Point jigs.  I will always use a curly tail or a plastic strip on the end of the jig for added action.

Of those 300 fish I landed, I can tell you that there has not been a single bad hook-up.  ALL of the fish were released in good shape thanks to the single hook jig.