Sunday, July 12, 2020

Curse of the Weed

I fished the RI oceanfront last evening.  It was my first time back there in weeks since I have been fishing both the Bay and the unmentionable spot north of here. I knew I had the right conditions....a kicked up surf, wind and white water. In addition, I knew storms at this time of year seem to light up the fishing.
Upon arriving at my spot, I looked out to see a sea of white turbulent, moving water. It was all set up by a big surf and an onshore wind. Perfect conditions in the surf! I figured I could not miss.  But, after my first cast, my optimism changed to doubt.  As I started to reel in my egg and jig, I knew I had weed  clinging to the jig.  It was that clinging red weed that easily fouls an artificial and it was everywhere. After every cast I was picking off weed.  I change plugs to a surface lure but that wasn't much better.
Finally,  after casting and picking off weed for an hour, I nailed a schoolie on the float and jig.  I got the fish immediately after my lure hit the water.  The lure just didn't have time to pick up any weed and the fish hit it. Unfortunately, it would be the only fish of the evening.
It was great water and should have been great fishing, but the curse of the weed struck again.