Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Bluefish Arrive

Yes, those yellow eyed piranhas of the sea are here. Whether
you like them or not, you can't deny they have spunk!
It took just one eighty degree day and the bluefish are here. I got my first ones of the season last evening.  Like everything else, they are late this year.  In most years, I get my first one in the first or second week of May.  This year it was May 20th.
My son Jon and I were out in the Bay last night and we found a mix of active stripers and blues.  Together we landed 11 stripers and 7 bluefish.  The big surprise of the night was when I hooked what I thought was a decent striper.  Once near the shore I saw I had TWO bluefish hooked on the same plug! One blue had the rear hook of my Sebille Magic Swimmer and the other blue had the front hook. I wish I had a picture of this, but the weather was so bad I left the camera gear in the car.
In all, I saw about 20 blues landed by a half dozen fishermen.  These blues were on the small side running 3 to 5 lbs., but they were very aggressive and spunky.
If you like catching blues, they are here.  Just in time for Memorial Day weekend!