Saturday, November 5, 2016

Fantastic Start to November

It's been a hot week for stripers of
all sizes.
The fishing is hot along the oceanfront.  It has been one of my best starts to the month of November.  I have landed over 70 stripers with some hefty keepers, a few huge bluefish and dozens of hickory shad through the first four days of the month.  I am doing well in the daytime as well as catching good numbers of fish at night. I've fished a large swath of the oceanfront and seem to find fish everywhere I go.  It is as good as it gets right now.
Big blues are following schools
of menhaded along the oceanfront.
The big news along the surf is that there are pockets of large menhaden or bunker moving along the shore. There seems to be small pods of them everywhere.  Find those menhaden and you are likely to find some monster bluefish near them as well as some keeper bass.  I saw at least 40 big blues and a few keeper bass taken yesterday in one location.  The blues ranged from 10 lbs. up to the high teens. The stripers were in the 30-36 inch range. These big blues and occasional big bass are taking topwater plugs as well as snagged menhaden.
I have also found loads of schoolies in various locations.  In many instances they are not showing and you will have to cast blindly to find them.  I am doing really well, day and night, using a four inch Queen Cocahoe on a 3/4 ounce jighead. My best day this week was 25 schoolies up to near keeper size.
I suspect this tranquil weather that we have seen this week is responsible for keeping the good fishing going.  The nice weather is supposed to continue and I see this upcoming week as another good week for fishing.  Get out and enjoy.  The best fall fishing of the year is happening right now.