Monday, June 6, 2016

One of the Best BIG FISH Days of All Time

Today will go down as one of the best if not the best big fish days we have ever experienced in Narragansett Bay from the boat.  From morning till night, on the incoming and outgoing tides, big keeper stripers were on the rampage.  They were chasing schools of menhaden and everywhere you found the pogies, you found the big fish.
I was fishing today from the boat with my brother and my son Jon.  In all we landed 40 keeper bass, mostly on menhaden using a "snag and drag" technique.  Snag a pogy, let it swim a bit and usually within a minute or two you had a cow chasing it.  
The fish today were big by Gansett Bay standards.  My guess is that at least half of the fish were over 40 inches with most of those reaching over 30 lbs.  Some of the fish were even in the 45 inch range.  I'm guessing close to or even over 40 lbs.We ended up keeping just two fish today that were badly hooked and released the rest. We saw hundreds of keepers landed by a fleet of boats.
This has been a banner spring of striper fishing in RI.  I have described it as the best in over a decade.  We've had tons of schoolies, good numbers of small keepers and now real good numbers of fish over 40 inches. It has been one hell of a year so far, and I can only hope it continues. Phenomenal.