Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Walking into a Daytime Blitz

There were good numbers of stripers
today blitzing peanut bunker.
The fish ranged from large schoolies
to small keepers. The fall fishing
has started with a bang.
Wow, we found something hot today.  My son Jon and I headed to the oceanfront this afternoon to escape the afternoon heat.  We weren't expecting much in terms of fishing till right before dark.  Were we wrong!
We walked into a daytime fall blitz in progress as good size stripers (25-28 inches) were tearing through schools of peanut bunker.  It was wild with birds diving and fish breaking.  At one point I was standing in water in my waders and I had peanut bunker all around me, and stripers were ripping through the bait right in front of me.  Further out I saw some serious breaks as larger fish (albies or bonito?) were charging through the bait like torpedoes blasting through the water.
We landed good numbers of stripers though they were fussy (they always are when on peanut bunker). The best lure today was a small flathead bucktail jig spiced with a curly tail and fished off a float.
Make no mistake about it.  Fall fishing is here. With huge amounts of bait around and increasing numbers of stripers and bonito along with albies on the way, it is shaping up to be a banner fall.