Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Off to a FLYING Start

I made my first trip to the oceanfront today, and the fishing was HOT.  Yes, the migrating schoolies have hit the RI oceanfront in a big way as I fished multiple spots and caught fish in every spot.
Cocahoes mounted on
half ounce jigheads were
hot numbers today.
The shrimp fly teaser was also
working as it caught about
a third of the fish.
It took me exactly 15 seconds to nail my first fish. On my very first cast, I landed my first striper of the new year. From then on, it was numerous singles and many numerous doubles as both the shrimp teaser and the Cocahoe were catching. All the fish today were schoolies with most of them good size running 20-25 inches on average.
These fish have been around for a few days now, but surprisingly, few fishermen were fishing today. I suspect that many fishermen are hanging on the sidelines just waiting to hear of good numbers of fish. They are here, and it should only get better in the coming weeks. By this time next week, I am guessing there will be keeper stripers in the mix. 
A new year has begun, and it's about time!