Thursday, November 8, 2012

Catching in the Rain, Snow and Ice


Zoom flukes on jigheads hot today.
Yes, that is ice and snow under my fish!
One great thing about RI is that you can always find stripers somewhere regardless of the time of year or the weather. Let's call today's outing a preview of winter fishing.  Yes, I did fish in the last two miserable days and I did catch some schoolies.  I was in a protected area in the upper Bay and I was moving around a lot, and the fish were there.  All the schoolies I landed were small, generally 15-18 inches, but very feisty.  They were all taken on albino Zoom flukes mounted on a half ounce jighead (see photo at right)  and fished with light tackle.  I'll be concentrating my efforts in the upper Bay in the next couple of days waiting for the oceanfront to calm down and clean up.